Thursday 1 March 2012

World Book Day, and the Big Bad Mouse!

Happy World Book Day (and St. David's Day, for my Welsh friends!)
Jamie's nursery are dressing up as their favourite book characters today, and he chose the Mouse from The Gruffalo (he has good taste, I love that book!)
So that meant I had to make a costume - eek!

I cheated, a little....
Remember this star costume from Christmas?
Well, it had been hanging around for a while, so I tried it on him to see if it still fit - good job I made it a little big at the time, as it did! I thought maybe I could dye it brown, so decided to have a go at tea dyeing as I'd never done it before. I filled my bath up with strong tea, soaked the top and trousers in cold water, then threw them in with a spare piece of jersey for the tail! Then, checking them every 10 mins or so, left them until they were the colour I wanted.
I took them out, ran them through the washing machine on a quick wash cycle with no detergent, and dried them...for a first attempt, I think they came out pretty well!
I marked the lines on the tail, then sewed it up, stuffed with a carrier bag (I laid the bag out flat then rolled it lengthways, and sewed the tail around it lol!), and sewed it to the back of the top. I added a spare white piece of jersey I still had left over to the front for his tummy.

The head dress I made from a cereal box - cut a thin strip to go round his head, cut out 2 mouse heads (copied from the book) - one the reverse of the other - and two ears, and just coloured them with felt pens and crayons and stuck them on the band, joining them together at the nose with a piece of sticky tape!

And there you have it.....just be careful if YOU ever set foot in the Deep, Dark, Wood.......!!



Thanks for looking!
Lisa
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you, so thank you for posting!

Getting an early start...

Well for some reason, (and trust me, this NEVER happens!), I'm making an early start on things for that most dreaded of C-words... CHRI...