Friday 29 May 2015

Simplicity New Look Competition



Hi everyone! Long time no see! I haven't had much time for sewing lately as I've been concentrating on getting myself fit and healthy, but I saw this competition mentioned in the latest Love Sewing magazine and just knew I had to enter! Unfortunately I only saw it on the 19th of May, and the competition ends on the 31st so I knew I had to get my tail in gear to get it done!


There were three categories for the competition - Dressmaking, Vintage, and Newcomer. Each category had a different pattern, and as I picked the Dressmaker challenge, I received a New Look 6145 shift dress pattern on the 24th May and got to work straight away!







I had some gorgeous ticking fabric in my stash that my lovely friend Emma gave me, and I knew it would be perfect! 
I decided to play with the pattern a little, so I chose to make view E without the collar, and thought it would be fun to quarter the front of the pattern, cut the ticking on the bias, and make a diamond shape pattern! (I know, with 5 days to get it done and the small one on half term holidays from school - I *might* be a little crazy!)
So I traced, and cut, and pinned like crazy...and this was the front - I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief, I can tell you ha ha!




On the back I decided to quarter the pattern to continue the waistline round, but I didn't do the same pattern with the fabric, deciding instead to just chevron it down the centre back. 
Now came the easy part - sewing it together!
I'm really pleased with how it turned out, especially as it was such a fast turnaround, and my first attempt at pattern matching stripes! Eek!


I think I'll be making quite a few more of these, although perhaps next time I'll just use a plain fabric! Ha ha!
I'm just glad I managed to get it finished today in time to enter it!

Thanks for looking
Lisa x

4 comments:

  1. That's amazing pattern matching, I'm in awe! Lovely work :) (and I thought spots were hard......)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha thank you, it wasn't easy...it nearly went in the bin a couple of times lol! 😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work! The pattern did make my eyes go a bit funny though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha thank you...you should try sewing it together lol! ;)

      Delete

I love to hear from you, so thank you for posting!

Getting an early start...

Well for some reason, (and trust me, this NEVER happens!), I'm making an early start on things for that most dreaded of C-words... CHRI...